Wednesday, September 22, 2010

'The New York Times' Print v. Online



So I don't read the print version of The New York Times anymore, only because I don't really have the money to spend on a subscription right now and was used to getting it for free from The University of Iowa (along with cheap rates on The Wall Street Journal and free copies of USA Today and The Des Moines Register). However, that doesn't stop me from checking out the newspaper's website, and enjoying its many articles and video features.

Truth is, I actually read the most articles in The New York Times arts section, in addition to the major headlines and top videos. I miss the science section, but don't actively seek it out - which brings up a point about reading the paper online. In print I would read at least a few paragraphs of every single article in almost every section, whereas online I spend less time engaged and read only the things I actively seek out. Guess that's the big difference between print and web, which is kind of a shame. 

The main reason I am making this post is to share an intriguing video I just saw about eating bugs at a gourmet restaurant in Brooklyn. Now I generally dislike bugs and am not afraid to stomp on most of them, but it is interesting to see people paying money to get a perspective on a practice that is generally frowned upon in America. I can't say the bugs enjoy us eating them in mass quantities though...

No comments:

Post a Comment